An indefinite strike and blockade of the Assam–Agartala National Highway and railway lines, announced by surrendered militants over three unfulfilled demands, was called off on Thursday late evening following a crucial meeting with Tripura’s Tribal Welfare Minister Bikash Debbarma at his official residence.
The strike date coincidence with the visit of Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Agartala.
The former cadres, under the banner of the Tripura Guerilla Returnees Demand Committee (TGDRC – pre-1998 returnees), had earlier declared that they would launch an indefinite agitation from Friday (February 20), when Union Home Minister Amit Shah is scheduled to be in the state, including blocking the national highway and train services at Hatai Kotor in the foothills of the earlier Baramura, to press for the realization of their long-pending three-point demands.
However, hours before the proposed blockade, the state government invited the leaders for discussions.
The meeting, held at the Minister’s official quarters, was attended by the Director of the Tribal Welfare Department, a senior magistrate from the SDM office, and other government officials along with the returnees’ representatives.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, TGDRC leader Amit Reang announced the withdrawal of the agitation.
He said the organization had called the movement from February 20, 2027, demanding payment of pending dues and implementation of their three-point charter of demands.
One of the key issues, he said, relates to ₹45 crore sanctioned during the previous Left Front government for the rehabilitation of pre-1998 returnees. Of this, ₹22 crore was reportedly spent between 2008 and 2018, while ₹23 crore remains unutilized and unpaid.
The returnees had also raised demands regarding pending rubber plantation payments and related rehabilitation benefits.
“We received assurances from the Minister that the pending funds would be arranged and our demands addressed. As we are satisfied with the assurances given, we are withdrawing tomorrow’s proposed blockade and indefinite strike,” Reang stated.
Minister Bikash Debbarma confirmed that detailed discussions were held on all three demands. He said the returnees were earlier sanctioned ₹10,800 each under a rehabilitation package linked to rubber plantations, of which ₹6,000 has already been disbursed, while the remaining amount is pending.
He informed that officials have been instructed to trace relevant documents and arrange the remaining funds.
“If for any reason the pending amounts cannot be traced, we will ensure alternative measures to make them economically self-reliant through various government schemes,” the Minister said, referring to ongoing tribal welfare initiatives of the state government.
Debbarma thanked the returnees for withdrawing the agitation and maintaining peace.
He added that the government remains committed to resolving their grievances through dialogue and ensuring long-term rehabilitation and economic empowerment.
With the blockade withdrawn at the last moment, normal movement on the highway and railway routes is expected to continue uninterrupted on Friday.



































